River and Coastal Monitoring includes spatial and temporal monitoring of all major rivers, lakes, ponds estuaries of the state in terms of their quality using physico-chemical and biological analysis in order to assess the suitability of the water for their intended use.
Since 2012, GEMI has been intensively carried out the periodic monitoring of Sabarmati, Mahisagar, Narmada, Tapi, Damanganga, Vatrak, Hiran and Meshwo Rivers along with their Tributaries. Possibilities of use of specific surface water source as a source of drinking water has been evaluated and subsequently its classification for their designated best use as per 2296:1996 CPCB standard has been carried out.
- To carry out inventory of point and non-point sources of pollution and also quantify the load of pollution discharged through each source
- Identification of all the surface water resources including all the existing fresh and saline water resources of Gujarat
- Monitoring of all the identified resources for its physicochemical characteristics so as to maintain the wholesomeness of water body.
- Evaluation of current quality status of all the surface water resources using physicochemical and biological analysis.
- Identifying source of pollution and extent of pollution control required.
- Incorporating the aspects of Bio-Monitoring in the study.
- Evaluating the possibilities of use of specific surface water source as a source of drinking water.
- Classification of surface water resources for their designated best use.
- Studying Trend Analysis for variation in parameters at a particular location over the time and also studying the location to location variations in parameters.
- Establishing correlations among parameters.
- Preparing a Surface Water Atlas of Gujarat which contains all the surface water resources of Gujarat along with their quality.
The project will have the following benefits:
- Local people would know the actual quality of water they are using in their day to day purposes.
- Concerned Government and Private Consultants and Research Scholars as it generates large quantity of reliable primary data,
- Concerned decision making authorities to make new policies or amend the existing policies such as Surface Water Resource Policy, Tourism Policy, Industrial Policy, Irrigation Policy, Pollution Control Policy, etc.
- The study will come up with the trend of the water quality of the various rivers across the stretch for varying seasons.
- The classification of the river water quality for their designated best use.
- Action plan for critical location for rational development and adequate management of water resources.