“To Promote Conservation, Protection, and Management of the Total Environment through Scientific and Technical Pursuits in order to maintain or restore the pristine elements of such Environment”
Objectives of GEMI
Objectives as enlisted in Government Resolution dated 01/02/1999
- Advising and providing guidance to the industrial units of the State for the prevention and control of pollution in consultation with other National & State level Institute, and Government and NGOs and Voluntary institutes, wherever required.
- Creation of an Institute committed to the objective of Prevention, Control and Abatement of the pollution.
- Advise on the final disposal of industrial hazardous waste and effluent generated in industrial unit after carrying out study on their use.
- Exploring the means and use for reuse and recycling of industrial hazardous waste.
- Facilitate the trade of industrial waste and to act as an information bank.
- Carrying out studies to review the impact of Environment and Evaluation of its carrying capacity.
- Conducting Environmental Audits and preparation of statement on Environmental Impact.
Objectives as enlisted in Memorandum of Association
- To contribute towards the Protection and Management of Environment and Ecology through Scientific, Technical, Policy and other activities.
- To perform the Mandatory functions specified in the various Environmental Laws, Guidelines, and Judicial Pronouncements from time to time.
- To Promote/Undertake/Develop Studies and Research in the field of Environmental Protection and related issues.
- To promote the cause of Environmental Conservation for improving the overall Quality of Environment.
- To interact and/or to seek affiliation with National & International Agencies working for similar Objectives.
- To undertake Research and Development activities for Pollution Control and related activities commissioned by Industries or any other body requiring Pollution Control.
- To evaluate the Environmental status and impact of Developmental activities of Industrialization, Urbanization, and Water Resources etc.
- To undertake Environmental Audit of Industries.
- To undertake Policy Research and help agencies in perspective planning.
- To Institute Awards and Prizes for meritorious work in the field of Environmental Awareness and Management.
- To offer advice and to act as a referral Institute.
- To undertake studies of review the Existing Standards and to evolve Standards Pertinent to situations.
- To Promote and undertake all other activities which will further the aims and objects of the Institute and such activities as may be considered necessary by the Governing Council in furtherance of the object of the Institute.
- To undertake training and Human Resources Development in the field of Environment.
- To cooperate with Educational or other Institutes in any part of the world having object wholly or partly similar to those of the Institute by Exchange of Experts, Scholars and in such manner as may be conductive to their common Objectives.
- To Print, Publish, Exhibit books, Pamphlets, Periodicals, Educative and Informative materials that may be considered desirable for promotion of the object of the Institute.
- To Develop, Maintain and run a Reference Library and Data Centre with Books, Periodicals, Films, Video and other Audio-visual Materials.
The Review Committee had later on listed the following additional objectives
- GEMI shall carry out research and Development Activities in the field of Environment depend upon the current requirement of the state. It shall take up the assignment from the Industries, Institutes and Agency as per their requirements.
- GEMI shall work as an advisory body to the State Government and its Agency/ Institutes on various environment issues.
- GEMI shall work as a primer training institute in the field of environment management in the State for Government Organization, NGO, Industries, and Academia etc.
- GEMI shall support and conduct structured academic programmers on environment and related other subjects such as bio medical wastes, Municipal solid Wastes management, Hazardous Wastes Management, EIA, Cleaner Production, Environmental Auditing, Environmental Risk Assessment, Air Pollution Monitoring, Control and Modeling, Waste Water Treatment, Environmental Policy Planning and Management, Environmental Sampling, Environmental Legislation, Environment Management System, ISO 14000 and ISO 18000, Environmental Accounting etc.